Friday, July 27, 2012

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Series #1)

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
Hey! This is my 13th post since I've started this blog and in case you didn't know 13 is my lucky number!  So I'll be reviewing one of my most favorite series.  I read the whole series awhile ago but haven't had time to put up a review.  Plus filming for the film will be starting soon and if you haven't read this book now you better!  Thanks!

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)
By Cassandra Clare
Published March 27th, 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
485 pages

5 stars - You should definitely read this book!!



When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.


I just want to say that I really very much LOVE this book and the series.  It's so hard to put down and its just great overall.  I feel like I can't even tell you how wonderful this series is.  And I know that some of you out there wont find City of Bones to be your cup of tea and that's ok.  But I seriously love it, especially Jace!  Cassandra Clare did a great job with this book and I can't believe that awhile back I hadn't even bothered to see what this book is about.  I'm so glad I finally decided to give it a try though.  


City of Bones is told from Clary's perspective.  Clary is a 15 year old who's only friend is a boy named Simon.  Clary hasn't ever really been normal and she finds out exactly how unusual she really is.  The night she goes to the Pandemonium Club with Simon wasn't the night she thought her whole life would change.  There she sees a demon boy die in front of her eyes and meets a group of Shadowhunters.  Three teenagers whose job it is to hunt demons and everything else not exactly human.  Plus the Shadowhunters are invisible to everyone else expect Clary and everyone wonders why.  Not long after her encounter does Clary's mom disappear after a frantic phone call and Clary is attacked by a demon as well.  Luckily she has the help of the Shadowhunters and her best friend Simon.  But even then Clary's about to find out how much her mom has been keeping from her and what its going to take to even find her.  Because Clary will have to learn all about the world of Shadowhunters and the rules if she wants to find her mom at all.


City of Bones was filled with action right from the beginning.  It was fast paced and filled with suspense and even romance.  And there are really great twists and secrets that you wouldn't expect.  Plus the characters were great! From Clary to Jace, Simon and the rest, I loved them all.  I was really able to feel for each one and I loved how they each had their own personality.  And I have to say that Jace was pretty great.  He had some pretty funny lines throughout the book and I'll admit could be a jerk at times.  But as the book went on you got to know more about him and his hurtful past.  Clary was pretty strong because she was dealing with her mom disappearing and having to learn about a whole new world she had never known.  Simon is a great best friend because he is supportive and funny as well.  Some other main characters include Alex and Isabelle, Jace's adoptive brother and sister.  


So anyways there is just so much I loved about City of Bones.  It wasn't boring for me and it kept me guessing.  The story had a mix of so much but it all flowed.  Everything balanced each other out and I found myself not being able to put it down.  Plus the whole Shadowhunter thing was really interesting.  I don't know I guess you'll either like it or you wont but I'd suggest giving it a try.  Plus the movie will be coming out soon.  City of Bones is captivating.  I know that I thought I wouldn't like it but I ended up being totally wrong.  Either way check it out!  


Vanessa




No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)