Monday, July 9, 2012

Across the Universe Review

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
Across the Universe (Book #1)
By Beth Revis
Published by Razorbill
416 pages
Summary from Goodreads

4.5 stars - I really loved this book!




Summary

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder. 

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.


Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.




I have to say that I really loved Across the Universe.  I think that Revis did a great job of giving suspense and just making you feel like you could relate with the characters.  I don't usually read Sci-fi but this book was really interesting.  The book switches from Amy's point of view to Elder's.  It starts off with Amy and her parents preparing to become frozen.  Oh and they have to stay frozen for 300 years!  I just cant imagine how hard that would be.  Anyways while everyone is frozen the spaceship is on its way to the new Earth or Centuari - Earth.  And the citizens that have been born on the spaceship are way different than the ones on the real Earth.  They have their own government system and they know nothing of what life was like on Earth.  They all look the same and there aren't any differences, it isnt allowed.  Elder is a 16 year old boy who is preparing to be the leader of the spaceship or rather the people in it.  But Elder isn't sure if he's ready to be the leader and only when he meets Amy does he start to figure himself out.  He also starts to figure out the many secrets on the ship that will change the way he thinks about the current leader.


Across the Universe is filled with different ideas and a plot that twists and turns.  I found myself thinking I knew who the murderer was and then being surprised with more clues.  I feel like I was able to think about how much we should appreciate Earth and everything we have because you never know when you wont be able to see it again.  I was able to feel for both Amy and Elder.  All in all Across the Universe was a great read and it was kind of though provoking.  I cant wait till I'm able to get the second book.  Plus the story wasn't just all romance or all sci-fi, it was a great blend of everything.  If you do pick this book up, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


Vanessa  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)