Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Between the Lines

Between the Lines
Between the Lines
By Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer
Published June 26th 2012 
Published by Emily Bestler Books/Atria/Simon Pulse
358 pages
Summary from Goodreads


5 stars - It was amazing!



What happens when happily ever after…isn’t?

Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.
So I really love Jodi Picoult and when I found out she was making a book with her daughter I was really excited.  Especially since it would be YA.  I have to say that Between the Lines was really great.  It was different from most YA novels I have read.  I think I loved it so much because I was able to relate to Delilah.  
Between the Lines is written in both Delilah's and Oliver's perspective.  Delilah has never really fit in at her High School and has but one friend, Jules who is different as well.  Her dad is gone and her mother works hard to support the both of them.  Oliver feels like he doesn't belong in his fairy tale world.  He feels like there is a bigger world full of bigger adventures.  Both are just waiting for someone good to notice them.  And one day that happens, Oliver speaks to Delilah, literally.  Delilah and Oliver go through many plans to get him out of the book.  They go through ups and downs but they wont give up.  But in the end will their determination be enough to give them their happily ever after?
I just really got into this book.  I feel like it was refreshing and new.  I really hope that Jodi and Samantha create more books together because they make a great team.  I was able to feel what Delilah and Oliver felt and I really enjoyed them.  And I think that there will be kids or adults who can relate to them too. Plus the illustrations in this book were brilliant.  It made me feel like I was reading a real fairy tale or like I was in the book with them.  Plus you get to see what Prince Oliver looks like, :).  This is definitely a book I will read over and over again.  I had been waiting to read it and I have to say I wasn't disappointed  But give it a try and see for yourself.
Vanessa






No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)