Friday, November 8, 2013

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1)
By Michelle Hodkin
Published September 27th, 2011 by Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
466 pages

4.5 stars - Intriguing!!!



Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.


Review:

Some of you might notice this book was on my wishlist and I am happy to say that I was finally able to purchase it! I was intrigued after reading the synopsis and let's face it, the cover is amazing. This book is captivating, thrilling, romantic and just a tad bit creepy. 

The synopsis, while intriguing  doesn't leave you with much. I don't know what I was expecting this book to be but I was pleased with what I found it to be. 

I liked the characters, especially Noah. Throughout the book Mara tries to remember what happened the night that changed her life forever and struggles with finding out the truth. I felt bad because there was always the question of whether she was crazy or whether everything that was happening to her was real. She suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which results in nightmares and hallucinations. And while Mara knew she had this disorder, she had to wonder if the nightmares were real or just dreams. It also seems that Mara has some pretty interesting, if not creepy, "powers" and Mara has to struggle with whether or not she believes she has them or if it's just coincidence. 

She had a pretty good relationship with her older brother and I liked how supportive he was. Her parents cared for her but her mom seemed to feel like medication was the answer and was constantly watching her. I could only imagine how difficult it was for Mara and how having to worry about being crazy would be stressful to say the least. Noah was a pretty great character as well but I have a feeling that we don't get to see everything about him in this book. Not only is he incredibly attractive but he is also a little bit different than the average human. I also enjoyed the banter between Mara and Noah. Mara also makes one other friend at her new school, Jamie. I actually really enjoyed Jamie's character and I wish that he would have been in the story a little more. I do think that there is more to his character and I'm eager to see what happens with him in the next book.

This book was definitely different and just really addictive. It's a mix of mystery and suspense and romance and so much more. I finished it in a day and was happy and upset at the same time. The end was such a cliff hanger and I cannot wait to read the next book. I don't want to give too much away because I think that knowing very little before reading this book makes it that much more enjoyable. I found myself wondering if Mara was really having hallucinations or if it what she was seeing was actually real. 

I do recommend that you all check this one out. It's different and intriguing and, in my opinion, a book that is enjoyable. So find out for yourself!

Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)