Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

Along for the Ride
Along for the Ride
By Sarah Dessen
Published June 16th, 2009 by Viking Juvenile
383 pages

4.5 stars - Amazing!!



It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.

In her signature pitch-perfect style, Sarah Dessen explores the hearts of two lonely people learning to connect.





I have this project for school which required the students to read a book, approved by the teacher of course. This novel was on the list and when I saw it I was overjoyed. I've been wanting to read this novel for awhile now and I usually love anything Dessen writes. I'm so glad to say that I wasn't disappointed and loved it so much that I finished 3 weeks before I had to. Okay...I finished it in, like, 2 days. 

There isn't much that I didn't love about this book. I think the thing that I loved the most was that Auden was able to realize who she really is. She realized what it's like to be a teenager and to fall in love. The bond between her and Eli touched me as well. They understood each other and each felt guilty for something. Eli was a sweet and intriguing guy and needless to say, I fell in love with him. 

The whole quest was a great idea and watching Auden slowly form real relationships was worth having to listen to her dad. Her dad and mom were characters that, at times, annoyed me. I could really feel for Heidi and Auden. 

I just really don't know what to say. I'm not sure if anything I say could do this book justice. I mean, sure, some parts of it could get a little annoying. I didn't always agree with Auden's viewpoints but that's what made her, her. All in all, Along for the Ride was a fantastic read and one I definitely enjoyed. I think it's one of my favorites that Dessen has written. So check it out for yourself, you really can't go wrong!

Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)