Monday, September 16, 2013

A Beautiful Dark Review

A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark #1)
By Jocelyn Davies
Published September 27th, 2011 by HarperTeen
390 pages

4 stars - Amazing!




On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.

A Beautiful Dark is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies.

Review:

After being on my wishlist for some time, I was finally able to read A Beautiful Dark. The beginning of the book actually drew me in and made me interested to see what would come. 

Picking up this book and only reading the synopsis, I didn't know what it would be about. The beginning, although intriguing, didn't clue me in either, and I liked that. I was able to wonder what would happen and who, or what, the two new guys where. I liked the pacing of the book, though at times it did seem a little slow. I thought it was intriguing, suspenseful, and at times, funny. For a first book in a series, A Beautiful Dark, was a good start. I'm excited to see what is to come in the next book. I feel a lot more could be explained in the next book and I hope that we get to see it. 

The characters in this book were likable as well. I liked Skye and her friends, though as you get farther along in the book you notice that there isn't that much of them. Asher and Devin were also interesting characters, but I wish that we could have learned a little more about them. Like, maybe more about their pasts? But aside from that, I felt for them and was even confused as to who was the best to choose. The guys are definitely not normal or human, and belong to two different sides, the Rebels and the Order. Asher is the rebel, cocky and charming, but is he the danger or is it someone else. Devin is part of the order, the supposed good guy. He is aloof, controlled, and kind, but is he all that he seems? Skye doesn't know who to trust or which side to trust and, honestly, neither do I. At times I fell for Asher but then at times I felt for Devin and his role with the Order. I didn't really like Raven and felt like she was, in ways, like Dabria from Hush, Hush. 

Anyways, the book was enjoyable and it kept me reading. I liked the legends told and the characters but at the same time felt like they all could have been filled out more. Hopefully we'll learn more about Skye, her parents, Asher, Devin and everyone else. I think it has potential and that this series could end up being an awesome one. Check it out for yourself!

Vanessa


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)