Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Review - Evanescent by Gabriella Lepore

Evanescent
Evanescent
By Gabriella Lepore
Published March 15th, 2013 by Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly
164 pages


4.5 stars - Fantastic Read!



“Then it is settled,” Felix declared. “Come hell or high water, when this is all over, at least one of us here will not make it out alive.”

When Bronwen Snow is pulled from her cottage in the middle of the night, she finds herself seeking the help of three mysterious boys who reside in an abandoned castle deep in the hillside. With only a hasty handwritten note and a vague sense of dread to guide her, Bronwen is forced to put her trust in the eccentric and willful Felix Cavara and his eternal curse – immortality.

Review:
I was pretty intrigued after reading the synopsis of this book but I wasn't completely sold on whether or not I'd like it. A chapter or two into the book I was absolutely sold! Evanescent was a fantastic book and I think the only thing I didn't like was that it was so short! I feel like if the book was a little longer then maybe the story could have had more detail or the characters could have grown more. But then at the same time I think that the length was good for not drawing out the story too much or stopping the inevitable.

I loved all the characters, especially Felix. The relationship that the three boys had was great and really heart warming. You could tell that they had gone through a lot together and even though they weren't related they were almost like brothers. Bronwen was an interesting character as well and amazingly strong. Maybe she wasn't physically strong or able to fight off what was chasing her on her own but in the end she made some pretty tough decesions. Bronwen lives with her grandmother because her parents died when she was just a baby. Even though she doesn't have her parents Bronwen's life is pretty good until one night where her psychic grandmother tells her to run to an abandoned castle in the woods. She doesn't give her an explanation but tells her to trust her and keep safe. Her grandmother sends her to Felix with a note that gives an explanation and a reward for keeping her granddaughter safe. A gift that will help him and his two friends with their eternal curse. 

Man, I just really loved this book! It made me think and it made laugh and cry. I loved the characters and I enjoyed watching them grow in the short amount of time they had. The story of Felix and his friends and of Bronwen was definitely interesting. I cared about the characters and even though the ending made me bawl I l respected how different it was than what is usually written. This book is one that you should definitely read and really think about. It's fast and enjoyable and might even make you cry but what fantastic book doesn't? So check this one out! I hope you enjoy it!

Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)